Rent and Water Payments

Please read your Tenant Handbook or Lease agreement for details about when you are required to pay your rent and water and other related payment obligations. 

We want to make it easy for you to make your payments on time and from wherever you are. We offer a number of ways that you can make your rent and water payments. 

Link Housing now offers additional payment methods to make it easier for you to pay your rent, water and other tenancy-related payments to Link Housing.

For now, the new payment options are available to tenants who transferred to Link Housing on 3 December 2018. The new payment options will be available to all tenants over the coming months. Your Housing Manager will speak to you about these options. 

The easiest way to pay your rent and water is using Centrepay

If you currently receive a Centrelink payment, the easiest way to pay Link Housing is using a free service called Centrepay. Centrepay takes the payment directly from your Centrelink benefits and takes away the need for you to make payments manually. Most of Link Housing's tenants pay using Centrepay. If you would like to pay using Centrepay, please contact your Housing Manager.

Direct Deposit and Bank Deposits 

Direct Deposit and Bank Deposits will be phased out. You will have time to transition onto a new payment method and your Housing Manager will support you with this process. 


Post-Billpay is a free and convenient service offered by Australia Post. Using this service, you can pay your rent, water and other tenancy-related charges by phone, online, or in person at any Australia Post branch.

Currently, tenants who transferred to Link Housing on 3 December 2018 and are not using Centrepay, can use this option.

For more information, call our Client Services Team, available Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm on 9412 5111. 

Water Charges

Link Housing charges Water Usage under the Residential Tenancies Act 2010 No. 42 (s139) which was amended in July 2012 to allow landlords to charge water usage to tenants under a social housing agreement. All water charges are implemented in accordance with the Link Housing Ltd Water Charging Policy, which was developed in accordance with the guidelines of the Minister for Family and Community Services.

To find out more about how your water is calculated and the payment options, see our Water Charging Fact Sheet

Rent Charges

If you are a social housing tenant and entitled to receive a rental subsidy your rent will be calculated on your income at least twice a year.

We also encourage you to read the Link Housing Rental Subsidy policy. 

Management of Rental Arrears 

See Link Housing’s Managing Rent and Other Arrears Policy.

Tenants have the right to Appeal decisions made regarding rents and arrears through the Link Housing Complaints and Appeals process.

The NCAT (NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal) is a specialist, independent accessible Tribunal which, firstly, assists parties to come to a fair and timely resolution of residential tenancy disputes including rental arrears, property damage and more, in compliance with the Residential Tenancies Act 2010. Link Housing will only access hearings at the NCAT when we are unable to come to an agreement with the tenant. (For further information visit the NCAT website @  

Tenants who are facing a hearing at the NCAT can request assistance from a tenancy advisory service. Tenants who live in the Northern Sydney area can contact the Northern Sydney Area Tenant Service (NSATS) for assistance, they can assist tenants with any matters that can be heard at the NCAT.  NSATS can be reached on 9884-8558 or visit the website