Social Housing

Link Housing provides social housing to help those on very low to low incomes. We have social housing across metro areas in NSW. Link Housing manages properties on behalf of the NSW Government, local councils, private landlords and agents. We also own properties that we lease for social housing.

Those who want to apply for social housing and housing assistance in NSW are required to do so through Housing Pathways - a service and agreement between the NSW Department of Family and Community Services (FACS), Aboriginal Housing Office, Housing Contact Centre and 25 participating community housing providers.

Housing Pathways ensures a single, standardised and centralised application process and waitlist. 

There are 3 ways you can apply for social housing. Your application will be assessed the same way, no matter where you submit your application.

  1. You can apply online at Apply for housing assistance

  2. You can apply by phone by calling the Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322 between 9am – 5pm weekdays. You will need your Medicare card and your Centrelink details when you call.

  3. You can apply by filling in the application forms which can be lodged with any Community Housing Provider or at any Housing NSW office. You can access all the application forms here Forms and the Evidence Requirements Sheet will show you what documents are required to support your application. The two main forms you must fill in are the Application for Housing Assistance and the Social Housing Supplement forms.

If you have a medical condition that will affect your housing needs, your health professional will need to complete a Medical Assessment form. Where there are complex issues, they may also need to complete and Independent Living Skills form

If you would like us to contact a third party about your application, you will need to provide a Consent form which tells us who we can speak with.

Applicants must meet the eligibility criteria to be approved for housing. For more information go to this site: Housing Pathways Information

If your application is approved, you will go on the NSW housing waiting list which is accessed by all social housing providers. You can talk to any Housing Pathways provider to find out where your application is up to or request changes to your application

When it is your turn, you will be given up to two reasonable offers of suitable housing in locations you have chosen. If you do not accept these reasonable offers, your name may be removed from the waiting list.

If you have any questions and need an interpreter, please phone the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 14 50. They will phone our office and interpret for you for free.

Where mediation is required, you can contact the NSW Community Justice Centre at 1800 990 777 or visit

If you are in urgent need of housing, please call the homeless services helpline ‘Link2Home’on 1800 152 152 or Link Housing.

Depending on your circumstances, other services such as temporary housing and private rental assistance may be available through Link Housing. Please call 9412 5111 to discuss.

Other services